To be eligible for a training position at the Southern New Mexico Family Medicine Residency Program, all physicians must meet the following criteria:
- Your application must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
- Be a graduate of an LCME-accredited medical school in the United States or Canada or an AOA accredited osteopathic school in the United States;e
- The Medical School that the Physician has graduated from must appear on the list of medical schools recognized as “approved” by the Medical Board of California;
- Graduates of international medical schools must hold a currently valid ECFMG certificate or possess a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of New Mexico, or have completed a Fifth Pathway program in an LCME-accredited medical school..
- Physicians who are not U.S. citizens must have a valid work authorization on a J-1 visa. All J-1 Visas are sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. This requirement is consistent with the AAMC guidelines for Graduate Medical Education programs. Eligibility for training at SNMFMRP does not guarantee future eligibility for granting of an unrestricted professional license by the New Mexico Medical Board.
- Physicians must be eligible for employment as verified by the US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA). Individuals on the OIC/GSA Exclusion List will not be considered for hire.)
- Physicians must take and pass Step II of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) before beginning residency at the SNMFMRP and Step III must be successfully completed by the end of the second year of training (PGY2) in order to be considered for PGY3 positions.
- Physicians must be eligible to receive a New Mexico Training License with the expectation that all requirements of the New Mexico Practice Act related to professional behavior, care of patients, and assurance of competency are adhered to while in training.
- Physicians must be graduates of an approved medical school in the last five years.
- Successful clearance of a Background Check, including fingerprints; and.
- Successful clearance of a drug screen..
NOTE: Meeting any or all of the aforementioned criteria do not guarantee an invitation to interview, nor an offer to fill a position.
We hope this information is helpful to you. We wish you continued success in your career.